Overview of CDMN Impact in Fiscal Year 2020
The Canadian Digital Media Network (CDMN), is a network of regional innovation hubs across Canada, all focused on supporting Canada's digital entrepreneurs. Designated a federal Centre of Excellence in Commercialization and Research (CECR), CDMN is dedicated to establishing Canada as a world leader in the digital economy.
Number of hubs: 28
Total hub employees: 743
Clients with desk space: 1,004
CDMN Hubs provide a variety of assistance to companies, customized to different stages of growth and local ecosystems.
Clients served: 6,085
Startup: (0–19 employees): 4,758
SMEs (20–499 employees): 1,120
Enterprise (500+ employees): 207
Number of new startups created across the network: 2,573
Mentors accessible to clients: 587
Total mentor hours: 86,828
Client Facing: Soft Landing
- Soft Landing helps scaling companies access bussiness opportunities outside of Canada. Up to $4,000 in reimbursable expenses to offset transportation and accomodation costs.
- 166 landings, bringing the total up to 1,001 landings in 63 countries.
Hub Facing: Hub Meeting
- Bi-annual hub meetings are an opportunity for network members to share best-practices, learn from their peers, and explore new ways to support company growth.
- 83 hub staff participated in two hub meetings where they shared best practices, networked and created new partnerships.
70% of Hub launched new programs or services
61% of Hubs collaborated to deliver programs or services
Client company outcomes
Total VC investment: $1.6 Billion
Total angel investment: $189.6 Million
Total foreign investment: $211.4 Million
Total clients acquired: 28
Total value of acquisition disclosed: $8.1 Million
JJobs created by client companies: 24,259
Top 3 client pain points
- Financing, funding and captial
- Talent acquisition and retention
- International sales and market expansion
Data source: CDMN 2020 Hub Survey
For more on key trends impacting Canada's digital media economy, visit cdmn.ca/trends