Overview of CDMN Impact in Fiscal Year 2019
The Canadian Digital Media Network (CDMN), is a network of regional innovation hubs across Canada, all focused on supporting Canada's digital entrepreneurs. Designated a federal Centre of Excellence in Commercialization and Research (CECR), CDMN is dedicated to establishing Canada as a world leader in the digital economy.
Number of Hubs: 29
Total Hub employees: 649
Clients with desk space: 1,105
CDMN Hubs provide a variety of assistance to companies, customized to different stages of growth and local ecosystems
Clients served: 5,645
Startup (0–19 employees): 4,612
SME (20–499): 797
Enterprise (500+ employees): 236
Number of new startups created across the network: 2,223
Mentors accessible to clients: 337
Total mentor hours: 82,220
Client facing: Soft Landing
- Soft Landing helps scaling companies access business opportunities outside of Canada. Up to $4,000 in reimbursable expenses to offset transporation and accommodation costs.
- 188 landings, bringing the total up to 754 landings 63 countries.
Hub facing: Hub Meeting
- Bi-annual hub meetings are an opportunity for network members to share best-practices, learn from their peers, and explore new ways to support company growth.
- 78 hub staff participated in two hub meetings where they shared best practices, networked and created new partnerships.
72% of Hubs launched new programs or services.
60% of Hubs collaborating to deliver programs or services.
Client company outcomes
Total VC investment: $1.5 Billion
Total angel investment: $183.5 Million
Total foreign investment: $280.7 Million
Total clients acquired: 27
Total reported value of acquisition: $448.4 Million
JJobs created by client companies: 9,570
Top 3 client pain points
- Financing, funding and capital
- Talent acquisition and retention
- International sales and market expansion
Data source: CDMN 2019 Hub Survey
For more on key trends impacting Canada's digital media economy, visit cdmn.ca/trends